MICHEÁL POWER RUNS 5.000 METERS EUROPEAN QUALIFING TIME IN MANCHESTER.
Micheál Power had an absolute brilliant run this evening at the BMC 5.000 meters race at Trafford track Manchester when he smashed his PB over the distance by 10 seconds.
Micaeál finished 4th in a packed field with a brilliant 13.54.52 his first time breaking the 14 minute barrier, not alone is inside the qualifying time for the European senior cup which is being held this year in Birmingham but more important for Micheál and his goal going out to the race was that target of 14.05 the European under 23 qualifying mark for the upcoming championships to be held in Norway in July.
Speaking to him shortly after the race a delighted Micheál along with his coach and club mate at West Waterford David McCarthy have found the racing restrictions over the past year very difficult to keep motivated and keep the daily training regime which is need at this level, however it was all worthwhile tonight in Manchester as he certainly took his opportunity with this richly deserved step forward in his running career.
Micheál also recently has been signed up to the University of Tulsa Oklahoma USA where he will continue his academic and athletics career in September.
SENIOR CLUB REOPENING.
West Waterford AC have now resumed senior training. There are a couple of spots left in the pod at 6.15pm and need to be booked in advance with Irene on 086 8242348. Athletes will be grouped together with those of similar abilities within each pod.
We reopen having reviewed all guidelines and procedures set out under the governments and Athletics Irelands roadmap to resume activity.
These are the procedures and guidelines we will be operating under; –
- The club has appointed Tom Leahy as Covid Compliance Safety Officer
- We can train outside only in groups of up to 15
- Club training is open only to all current club members. Membership is open online one the club website if you need to register
- If you have symptoms of Covid 19 do not train, self-isolate and contact your GP
- There can be no physical contact between members of the training group
- Physical distancing of 2m must always be maintained
- All athletes must supply their own hand sanitiser / wipes
From a practical point of view this is how it will work.
- On arrival please check in with Irene / Claire/ Jim and if possible, have the correct change ready to pay your €3. On the first night please
Bring your health questionnaire with you filled in and signed at the bottom.
- All groups will meet at the Friary and please do not arrive more than 10 minutes before your allotted time
- We will be unable to look after keys etc for the time being so please bring a single key and put it in your pocket
- As we will be training in the Friary initially there will be plenty space to train in a socially distanced manner
- When we do go back to the roads we will operate a rolling start so will let off small groups of athletes 30 secs apart to avoid congestion on the track / roads. Now more than ever we need to remember that the greenway / track is a shared space for all users so please be extra cautious when passing others or as other users are approaching you.
- If you catch up with the group in front of you, please allow plenty space whilst passing and be aware of other users coming towards you
- When training is over, we will meet back where we started from to do our cool down
This is going to be a new way of operating for all of us so we may need to make changes as the weeks go on to keep it safe for everyone. We can all only do our best and take responsibility for our own actions and if we do that hopefully we will have scope to do more as the summer goes on.