First Event of the Year Colligan Cup on Sunday
Sunday January 14th will be a busy one in Colligan. It’s time for our young athletes to get back in action and blow out the cobwebs from the Christmas break. The juvenile Colligan Shield will get under way @ 11am this year. Registration starts at 10.15.
This event, which will again be sponsored by Albert McGrath Newsagents, challenges an athlete’s pace and judgement as well as their running skills. No watches are allowed so everyone has the same chance to win the race.
This is an open event and anyone 8 years or older can take part. The juvenile race will be run over one circuit of Colligan. The person with the slowest predicted time will start first and the fastest runners will go off last so speed or age makes no difference. The winner will be the first person home after the clock hits zero. Last year over fifty juveniles took part in this event and we hope for even bigger numbers this year. Last year’s winner was Eoin Tobin who was just 2secs slower than his predicted time. All five prize-winners were within 30secs of their predicted times.
Remember it is not how fast you run that counts but how near you are to your predicted time. Last year 17 athletes ran faster than predicted. Who will get it right this year?
Dates for Secondary Schools Competitions
Below are a complete list of schools fixtures for 2024.
• Waterford Schools XC – 26th Jan St Augustine
• East Munster XC – 8th Feb SETU WAterford
• Munster Schools XC – 27th Feb – Tramore Valley Park, Cork
• All Ireland Schools XC – 9th Mar
• Munster Indoor Games – 13th Mar – Nenagh
• SIAB XC – 23rd March
• East Munster T&F (Girls) – 2nd May
• East Munster T&F (Boys) – 8th May
• Munster Schools T&F – 18th May – Templemore
• All Ireland Schools T&F (Day 1) – 31st May
• All Ireland Schools T&F (Day 2) – 1st Jun